Personal Finances

Resident Financial Assistant Plan

The Medical Student and Resident Financial Assistant Plan (MSRFAP) provides a conditional grant to students studying medicine in Manitoba or to physicians who will establish a practice in the Province after graduation.

There are two options: (1) The Educational Assistance Option, for medical undergraduates and medical residents and (2) The Practice Assistance Option – Enhanced, for physicians who have established a Family Medicine practice in Manitoba.

Applications are available at the following sites:

1. University of Manitoba, Room 260 – 727 McDermot Avenue from 08h30 to 16h30

2. Manitoba Student Aid, 401-1181 Portage Avenue from 08h30 to 16h30;

3.Kildonan Medical Centre, Room 2PC11, 2300 McPhillips from 09h00 to 17h00

4. St. Boniface Family Medical Residency Unit, Room 701, 400 Tache (across the street from St. Boniface Hospital, call 237-2893 before going), office hours are 08h00 to 16h00

5. Parkland Family Medicine Unit, 625 3rd St. W., Dauphin, MB from 08h30 to 16:30.

Completed applications may be sent to:

Manitoba Student Aid, MSRFAP
401-1181 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3G 0T3

For more information please visit the MSRFAP website at :

or call MSRFAP administration staff at? 204-945-8509 between 08h00 and 16h00 Monday to Friday.

Tax Information

The T2202A form is available online through the University of Manitoba website. You will require a username and password to log in.

There was a 2014 judgment in federal tax court that may have bearing on residents across the country. Eight Ontario residents were successful in appealing a Revenue Canada ruling which disallowed these residents’ claim of the education tax credit and tuition tax credit in the 2011 tax year. Any implications of this judgment on Manitoba Residents’ tax have not been tested in court.

An important distinction between Ontario and Manitoba residents is that in Ontario, residents are not charged tuition by their universities; whereas, we are charged tuition by the U of M. This is a material difference because the WRHA pays our tuition. Canada Revenue Agency exclusion criteria for claiming the education amount is if an external body pays for or reimburses a student’s tuition, even if that student is in a qualifying educational program.

PARIM does not provide advice regarding tax strategies or deductions. PARIM recommends that residents seek advice from an experienced accountant or tax lawyer when preparing their tax returns.

Re: Docket 2013-1263(IT)I


Please look in the Resident Discounts section for Companies that offer to process resident tax returns at a reduced rate

Click here for resident discounts

Comments are closed.